Brief: Thought Leadership
Challenge: Our client had a stellar reputation in their industry, backed by the security of a large institution. But what happens when they moved out on their own, and suddenly the security and position of the institution is gone? The challenge is to position them in the marketplace afresh, such that they now become the main performer, rather than the institution around them. They become the brand.
Solution: We started with a workshop with the client, where over two half days, we uncovered everything they wanted to become to their clients. We looked at the messaging that was currently in the market, against the things our client wanted to say – messages aligned more with what clients really wanted. We looked at the brand they wanted to project; edgy, different, daring but definitely not reckless, against a current backdrop of conservative,stuffy and uninteresting. When we had looked at everything we could, we felt confident in building a media strategy.In almost every instance, our clients come to us asking about the media channels they should employ, without ever once thinking about their clients. By turning this around, by giving customers the respect they are due, we notice the media channels become much more obvious.
Results: In a word, POSITION. It took time to build a position in the market with our client, one that was different from the mainstream institutions. Brands, especially personal brands are not built quickly.
- For the first time, our client had a very good understanding of their clients; who they were, what they really thought (we asked a few along the way) of the performers in the industry (a bit of a shock that one);
- Once our client understood that, we were able to then set about delivering on what their clients really want;
- Our plan wasn’t extensive, it didn’t need to be. Our involvement was monthly, with behind the scenes work and so, it was affordable;
- We began to position our client in a way that resonated with their clients;
- They began to attract more media attention as they provided a different story from the mainstream;
- So the client base and the funds continue to grow.