Smart Digital Marketing
..what everyone is talking about
“someone called my website a signpost in the desert; it may not be smart, but at least it’s cheap!”
The biggest single line item of 21st century marketing is search engine marketing. Just a blip on the screen in 2000, it has grown into a $20 billion business today in the US alone.
However, as much as 94% of clicks are generated not by paid ads, but through “organic search,” the pages that show up when users search naturally. Perhaps not surprisingly, search engine optimisation (SEO) has become a full blown science, with thousands of highly trained specialists dedicated to getting results ranked high on the page.
Social marketing, however, is still in the dark ages, with practitioners operating largely by instinct. That is the problem for many of our clients; who do they trust, what is effective and what should good results actually look like. We have clients who spend upwards of $250,000 a year on Adwords alone, an extraordinary amount for many, but for them it is good money, well spent. Their business depends on it.
However there exists a deeper problem: literally every digital marketing company/consultant claims to be able to produce digital marketing results. And very few actually succeed. Here are 5 reasons why:
- Companies fail because they aren’t patient enough to put in the effort to see results – let alone increasing returns.
- Strategists fail because they misunderstand their audience, continue to vest efforts in the wrong areas and get things wrong from a lack of experience.
- Pull activates others organically, which of course cedes control. People on all sides continue to fear and misunderstand this.
- Ridiculous approval processes created by corporations unable to adapt to changing times live on. Companies are in many cases their own largest barrier to success and so opportunities are missed.
- Ideas that don’t pass the “so what” test continue to be pushed forward by both executives and consultants who think in patterns no longer applicable.
With so much to choose from and pitfalls to fall into, we’ll ensure your digital marketing is truly effective.
Everyone wants a piece of digital marketing. SEO, Facebook, Adwords are commonly bandied around words in today’s world. Most of the people we speak to simply hope they are getting it right, and most aren’t. The digital landscape is highly specialised, and we use specialists to work with our clients to get the right strategy in place. Our most important question to clients is “why?”
A smart digital strategy is simply part of a much broader campaign that involves really understanding and knowing your customer. Knowing your customer is where all marketing starts, and it forms the backbone of smart digital strategy. Once that is clear and articulated, then we can establish a strategy that should deliver a constant funnel of leads and contacts. But much of the digital world needs specialist work, and in our experience only a very few are really exceptional at it.
The benefits of a part time Marketing Director in this space
Nothing long winded here, just a few quick bullets:
- you cannot afford to get this wrong, you must have an agency that performs way above the average
- getting it wrong can cost you your business (we refer to another example elsewhere in the 12 goal architecture)
- getting it wrong, means missed opportunity. OK, granted your competitors are likely to get it wrong as well, but why should you? Get it right and it will pay dividends
- get it right, and it will pay huge dividends, just like we said in the previous point
- we know there are usually 5 or 6 points, but in this instance there is nothing further to say